Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Whatipu


B and I ran off to Whatipu beach for the afternoon awhile back.
I don't have much to say about it, but I thought you might like
to see the pictures.

(Gratuitous animal photo.)


This picture was taken at an overlook of the
Manukau harbour and the Tasman Sea.
Whatipu is the beach just beyond the hill on the right.



Note the lack of footprints.

We saw 4 other people on the beach.

Whatipu is a 45 minute drive from Auckland.





Looking back toward the overlook described above.





Suddenly, it rained.
We went against the posted warning
and took shelter under an unstable cliff.
Thankfully no rocks crushed us.
Suddenly, the sun came out.
Typical Auckland weather.



All of the west coast beaches are gorgeous,
but Whatipu is my favorite (so far).

In fact, I think we'll spend Christmas eve
exploring the caves at Whatipu!
Beats last minute shopping!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love those subtle, but accurate, signs. I took a photo of a similar one at North Piha

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robinzblog/2557151603/

Haven't been to Whatipu for a while, last time was on a mountain bike (from Glen Eden) but it's a "To Do" for the summer break

Anonymous said...

I like your blog