Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Steam Engine Sundays


In a moment of romantic idealism I booked tickets for P and I to ride the train home from Wellington. I've always liked the idea of long distance train travel, and figured this was a great chance to live the dream.


Turns out we were very lucky girls and got to be part of the first ever Steam Engine Sunday ride wherein our diesel-electric train would be pulled part of the distance by an "Original WAB 794" steam engine!


At Fielding the train stopped and we were all invited out to watch them hook up the steam engine while being serenaded by bagpipes! This was a very stimulating experience! At the end of our ride we were given a Certificate of Commemoration with a lovely drawing of the train on it. I thought this was a little over the top, but I really like the picture.



(New Zealand Govenrment Railways
No 251. 1927
Built at Hillside Workshops)

No comments: